Wednesday, April 30, 2014

An Introduction to Nutritional Science


1.17
Dr. Joel Fuhrman is somewhat of a revolutionary. I was first introduced to his nutritional perspective by a business friend who got me one of Fuhrman's books, Eat to Live, in 2010. At the time, I had no idea how beneficial Dr. Fuhrman's insights would be in my life and the life of our family.

Dr. Fuhrman has quite a story of his own, from childhood memories of his father's struggle with ailments which were resolved through good nutrition, to his own story of conviction which led him to medical school and becoming a doctor.

So, why nutritional science? I think some of it is because of the simple beauty of nutrition as a broad-based solution. Thousands of years ago, Hippocrates said we should let food be our medicine, and medicine be our food. Simple enough. But here we are in a modern, Western culture bombarded with the latest 4 syllable pharmaceutical promising to alleviate that pain or reduce that swelling in one little pill.

Is nutrition really a fundamental solution to what ails us? I think for the most part, yes. Don't get me wrong, I'm pleased to my core that diseases like polio, diphtheria and cholera are controllable by modern vaccinations and medications, but I think we often go too far in attributing our solutions to the conventional medical community.

With that in mind, I want to share a TEDx talk that Dr. Furhman did last year, giving a great introduction to why he loves nutritional science. I would agree that I also love nutritional science. I've benefited immeasurably from simple improvements in my diet. In this talk, Dr. Furhman gives his viewpoint on how nutrient density is really the key to healthy eating and optimal nutrition, and you'll hear brief stories of six patients whose lives have been radically improved by following his 'nutritarian' diet-style.

Dr. Fuhrman at TEDx Charlottesville - 2013


By the Way



There are tremendous resources available on Dr. Furhman's website www.drfuhrman.com. Also, he's been a frequent guest with Dr. Oz, bringing what some would call a radical diet-style (Fuhrman's nutritarian approach) into the mainstream consciousness. His constant theme?: get more nutritional bang for each caloric buck... Great advice, and I'm grateful that it's working for me and my family.




No comments:

Post a Comment