Thursday, June 26, 2014

Water, Water, Everywhere


1.30
I have always enjoyed a nice hot beverage in a big mug. In the 1990's I was a coff-aholic (I drank way too much coffee). Some days I would top 2 quarts a day, and being in my 20's, that seemed like no big deal. Since then I've gone caffeine-free for months and years at a time, and settled into being pretty much of a tea snob. I'll indulge in a great cup of coffee a couple of times a year. Beyond that, I enjoy a good cup of green tea, herbal mint or chamomile, and sometimes a black tea or blend. I can get plenty of caffeine, if that's what I think I want, and I keep my hot-drink habit.


Much of our wellness is based on throughput - taking nutrients in and getting rid of whatever is left over that our bodies don't need, or are of marginal value. The key to that throughput is water. Call it hydration or detoxification, water is a key to physical health and wellness. Believe me, 20 years ago, I didn't have a 'water habit', but I do now. I realized, in the midst of my hot-drink habit, I need to also keep up with that necessary hydrating throughput.

To define 'good' water, it would be filtered (tap) water. We use a Pur activated carbon filter at home. A reverse osmosis unit is great, but they are expensive and use a ton of process water for regular back washing and maintenance. Bottled water is marginal - the bottles are wasteful and numerous studies show that the plastics in the bottles can be bad for our health. So filtered tap water (the pitcher filters are great as well - you can keep them in the fridge for cold water anytime) is a great resource.



Another thought on daily beverages: I don't drink flavored sodas anymore. I can't remember the last time I had a Coke or Mountain Dew. What I've replaced those with is seltzer. That is now my drink of choice whenever I'm out for a business meal or dinner with our family. Many fast food soda dispensers now offer seltzer as one of the 'water' tabs next to the iced tea or Sprite. Put in a slice of lemon or lime, and it is refreshing and not at all bad for you. We keep 2 liter bottles on hand around the house and our kids love to experiment with fruit juice additions - cranberry, orange, grape, etc. We keep 100% fruit juices on hand, and while those aren't the most nutritious choice (you still get a huge glucose spike from fruit juices) it's much better than any soda or processed juice options.

Suggested things to stay away from in drinks: sugars of any kind (high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, sugar, etc.) artificial sweeteners (aspartame, sorbitol, sucralose, etc - these are detrimental to our health) artificial colors and flavors. If we stick with natural juices (grape, cranberry, apple, orange) those are a good treat. "Vitamin" waters are okay as well; these are often fortified with natural nutrients and vitamins and natural sweeteners like xylitol and stevia.

With summer here and all the chances for sweating at the amusement park and the beach, or if you're just around the office or traveling, think about working on your water habit. Staying hydrated is a fundamental key to wellness, and goes great in with your power pantry.


By the Way

I've learned that there are some simple parameters to staying hydrated. A key rule of thumb is to drink half your weight in ounces of water, every day. For example, my weight is in the 150's, so I should be drinking 75 ounces of water every day. That would be at least 10 - 8 ounce glasses of water. I usually drink from a large glass or water bottle (closer to 16 ounces) so that would be about 5 of those a day. One in the morning, one at lunch and one in the evening, and a couple thrown in during the day and I'm well on my way to that goal.

If you work out, run or do a lot of physical activity (yard work, etc.) then you should add to that base line, like an extra quart or more per day. And caffeinated drinks and alcohol don't count toward your water habit... sorry...





No comments:

Post a Comment