Wednesday, March 18, 2015

In the Arena

2.21
I believe very strongly that it is normal to have new challenges in life, especially challenges that create opportunities. New challenges take perspective and more than that, courage. I came across a quote from psychologist Rollo May some years ago:
"...the opposite of courage...is not cowardice, it's conformity."

That has quite a bite to it. Cowardice seems like the logical opposite of courage; that compulsion to run, hide or simply check out. And conforming seems acceptable in a way, although tame, predictable, and maybe even bringing a quiet confidence. But is that the life we want? Running behind all the other lemmings, right over the cliff? Not me, and that's not a power pantry life. I'd rather latch onto something filled with purpose, live with some calculated abandon, and see what happens.

I bet there was a time in your past when you did something quite courageous. Maybe it was decades ago, or maybe just last month. Either way, it's likely that it left an indelible milestone in your memory about what it feels like to take on an opportunity and see it through. No cowardice and no conforming there...

In the same way, I'm certain there is a challenge in front of you right now which will require courage. I know I have many. I pick and choose my battles more carefully (and strategically?) now than I did years ago, but they are demanding challenges nonetheless. And I'm certain these will also leave a recognizable mark on my life, at least for a time, and maybe forever.

Take stock of your challenges and opportunities. It might be time to tackle the one that's right in front of you by choosing not to conform. Go against the grain and strike off in a new direction. Or at least build your resolve to turn and face the opportunity head on until you gather and gain the resources you need. The mark it leaves on your life will be valuable, no doubt, and maybe even treasured.

By the Way


When we choose not to conform, we instantly set ourselves apart in some fashion. It doesn't need to be in a boastful or prideful way, but we can't help but distinguish ourselves through our actions. Don't be afraid of doing that, but let the journey temper you and yield appropriate humility. Whatever comes our way, I agree with author Steven Pressfield, who said: "It's better to be in the arena, getting stomped by the bull, than to be up in the stands or out in the parking lot."




No comments:

Post a Comment