Sunday, March 12, 2017

Aggravating Foods

4.8

A power pantry lifestyle requires an open mind, and a wellness journey will eventually bring you to realities which challenge your thinking. A few weeks ago I posted about continuing a 90/10 emphasis on whole, nutrient-dense foods, even though I have changed some fundamentals. I have been aware of several foods which really aggravate my gut and make me feel less than healthy.

A friend reached out wondering what exactly those foods may be, so I figured a post was appropriate to give some context. I realized years ago that numerous proteins and fundamental building blocks of some foods can be quite irritating (like alkaloids and phenols). And sensitivities to these foods don't generate allergic reactions, but can seriously impact your wellness.

For me, I've identified a list of irritants that I now dodge in our pantry:

  • Corn
  • Nightshade vegetables (tomatoes, all pepper (hot and sweet, etc.), eggplant, goji berries, and white potatoes are the primary ones)
  • Raw onions and garlic (some cooked ones are just fine)

Beyond these, there are actually some 'healthful' foods which are significant irritants to me:

  • Almonds
  • Dark leafy greens (spinach, kale, etc.)
  • Most berries
  • Honey
  • Coconut

I can tolerate small quantities of these, but large amounts prove less than beneficial. So how do these impact me? Shortness of breath, generally gloomy moods and unexplained bad attitudes, and skin breakouts are the major effects. Are any of these life-altering, where they can't be tolerated? No, not really. But life is much more awesome without them...

So, continue to "question everything." Be willing to apply some critical thinking and intentional trial-and-error to your power pantry journey, if your physical and mental health isn't stellar. There are particularly aggravating foods out there, and maybe it's something you ate.

By the Way


There is a whole body of study on these kinds of food sensitivities. Australia and parts of Europe are way ahead of the US (my cynical side affirms that there's no money in healthy people, and we have a huge medical industry in America that thrives on unhealthy people, so problems are better prolonged than solved... but that's a post for another day.) Dr. Benjamin Feingold recognized the correlation between hyperactive children and their diets and the Association created around his work has made incredible strides in helping families manage food sensitivities in their children. Also, check out the Food Intolerance Network (www.fedup.com.au) for an incredible and extensive resource on food sensitivities.





No comments:

Post a Comment