Sunday, March 9, 2014

A Wellness Lifestyle


From 1997
The only picture I found at that weight
1.2
I topped out around 220 pounds in the late 90's... I was disregarding my physical health and just 'enjoying' life (so I thought). Truth is, I was really unhealthy, although I convinced myself I was fat and happy. Through my 20's and into my 30's, multiple health issues came up, and some existing ones (like my 'bad left knee') got worse. 

What made the difference for me? The biggest thing is that I had a vision for a healthy version of me that didn't match the 220 pound me (or the other iterations in between). Maybe that sounds strange, but that's the reality. If we have and keep a mental picture of ourselves that we recognize as "more like the real me" than where we are right now, there is value in that. As I held that vision in my mind, over the years I did things that led me closer and closer to that healthier end. Step by step, month by month, year by year.





I remember "The Six Million Dollar Man" from the 70's... Lee Majors played Steve Austin, the astronaut who was put back together with bionic parts after a devastating crash. There was something cool about how he ran in the title sequence, and I've always remembered that. As a kid, I used to think, "wow, I'd like to be able to run like that (and actually look good doing it.)" That mental image has always been part of my "healthy vision" of myself, and a wellness lifestyle has led me closer to it.


What does it take to develop a wellness lifestyle? I figure there are three attitudes we can have toward our health, which determine if we have a wellness lifestyle or not:

  • Ignoring: we disregard our health, either intentionally, or because we just don't think it's an issue
  • Pursuing: we have a wellness vision, or at least a conviction about where our health can be, and are growing toward it
  • Maintaining: we're at a level of wellness we appreciate, and we notch back a bit and stay at that level

It really starts with a personal vision of where we want our health and wellness to be. What do we tell ourselves about ourselves? Do we believe we can overcome health issues, or improve toward a worthy goal? If so, all we need to do is take a step in that direction. If not, why do we think it can't happen? What do you tell yourself about yourself? We all start where we are - there's nothing inherently wrong with where I am and where you are, but maybe there is a vision for something next... 

By the Way

Dec. 2013
Both of us pain-free and grateful
How am I doing with my wellness vision? Well, my target weight is 158 (for a BMI of 21) making me about 60 pounds lighter than I was 15 years ago. (That's the equivalent of 4, 15 pound bowling balls...hmm, I carried "extra bowling balls" for years...) And my bad left knee is 'cured' after 25 years of pain - no surgery, never had any injections... just food-related adjustments that have brought consistent relief.

Part of fulfilling my wellness vision has been a running habit that I started in 2012. I did my first 10k last year, and I have aspirations of doing my first half marathon this year. We'll see what happens there. So do I run like (or in any way look like) Steve Austin? Not so much...


No comments:

Post a Comment