Sunday, March 16, 2014

Powerful Reasons



1.4
Simon Sinek is a good thinker. His 2009 TED Talk on the power of 'why' is evidence of that. Sinek makes us think about inspiring great leadership, and I would extend that to great self-leadership. We get there by asking 'why', by having powerful reasons to do something. Sinek calls it the golden circle, at the center of all clear thinking, and before we deal with how or what, we benefit most by dealing with why.


When it comes to our well being, we ebb and flow with the seasons and the allure of a beautiful piece of cheese cake with cherry topping. But knowing the reason why we want to be healthy sheds a different light on our wellness. Could there be powerful reasons that will compel us to make great choices in our nutrition and exercise, and lead to consistent healthy choices? I know it's possible, and I know it's true for me.

In the early 80's I had three life-changing incidents that give me powerful reasons to live every day to the fullest:
  • 1981 - on a swimming outing with some buddies, I dove into the 4 foot deep end of the pool and hit my head on the bottom. What could have killed me, or left me paralyzed, instead broke my back. With several months in a back brace I was pretty much okay.
  • 1983 - after months of blinding headaches and doctor visits I was diagnosed with a brain tumor the size of a large plum; I was a couple of weeks from going into a permanent coma... Successfully removed in May of '83, I was out of the hospital in 5 days, recuperating at home.
  • 1984 - my dad was diagnosed with lung cancer; he made it about 5 months and passed away at 48 years old. He had been a relatively healthy guy, concerned about what he ate and living pretty much in moderation.
When I get down on myself or a hand I've been dealt, I recall that I'm here today for a reason; I have a purpose to fulfill. Having the same genes as my dad, I'm susceptible to cancer and possibly an untimely death. But that doesn't seal my fate; I'm in control of my health choices and know I can influence them to the better. These are powerful reasons that convict me to live a lifestyle of wellness, and to share that message with others.

Maybe you have powerful reasons 'why'. Take some time to sort them out, and live in the tension those reasons create.

  • You might want to be around to walk someone down the aisle, years or decades in the future
  • Maybe you've decided, wherever you find yourself, you "just can't live like this anymore"
  • Or you may have promised yourself or others that this time it will be different, you're turning over a new leaf and going to do whatever it takes to maintain your health so you can be around for them, or grandkids, or just for your self
Start with your powerful reasons why you want to live a lifestyle of wellness, and you'll always be headed in the right direction. We'll get to how and what soon enough. Let's make the journey together.

By the Way

You can watch Simon Sinek's 2009 TED Talk here. It's been seen almost 16 million times. I agree with him when he says "What you do simply serves as the proof of what you believe..."

How Great Leaders Inspire Action


No comments:

Post a Comment