Sunday, May 31, 2015

Go Play Outside

2.39
Yesterday we had a blast getting out on a lake with our kayaks for the first time this season. It was everything we hoped our day would be - a chance to get out on the water enjoying the sun and wind and each others' company. Summer is here and will go by so fast it is vital to get out and engage it while we can, and following a wellness lifestyle requires that kind of determination.

While I could invest my free time with a motorcycle, golf or basketball or shooting sports, I choose to invest my free time with my family whenever possible. I think healthy relationships at home are vital to an engaged and fulfilling life... a power pantry life. Of course, this means I'm a lousy golfer, I don't have a cycle or even a scooter, and I have no posse looking for me to jump into a pick-up game of round ball.

For me, I'd rather know what my kids enjoy for sports and activities and go do those things. Jen and I even said at the end of the day yesterday that it will be fun one day to be empty-nesters and just grab the kayaks anytime we want to go find a lake...cool...

To me, it's not valuable to 'balance' work and family and wellness and recreation and education. I think it is valuable to integrate all of these things, creatively and relentlessly. What do I mean by integrating?: Looking for ways to harmonize what should be done, with what you value or highly regard. So, take up a hobby with your spouse or kids, or integrate work in your family life (could you start a family business?) It may be easy to share aspects of faith and wellness as a family, but how about integrating your relationships or wellness with lifelong learning?

Kayaking as a family may seem like a really simple thing to do, but to our family, it goes much deeper than that. There is intentionality for us at a much different level, choosing to integrate the things we want to do (summer-time recreation) within the relationships of those where we get the most value. Maybe you could give it a try this summer as well.


By the Way


Jennifer and I were first introduced to kayaking at a dinner date we had at Shank's Mare, a very homey but cool outfitter shop near York, PA (http://shanksmare.com/). That was about 10 years ago, and we've made flat-water paddling trips a regular summer activity since. Now we have multiple kayaks and enough gear for the whole family to enjoy a day out. And one thing I like best of all: Shank's Mare's slogan is "Go Play Outside."





No comments:

Post a Comment