Sunday, November 13, 2016

A Good Run

3.31

About six years ago I started focusing on healthy choices, both in what I ate and my level of activity. The years have gone by fast, a lot has changed and continues to change, and I like to think I've created some good, healthful habits that will sustain me for decades to come. One of those habits I enjoy is running - it's become a renewable adventure that I look forward to as the seasons and years go by.

I started running in 2012 when our older son ran cross-country in middle school. I went to a few 'open' practices in the summer, learned some basics from my son, and began the glorious struggle that is running. It feels like such a natural part of my life now, that I'm surprised it's only been four years.

What's great about a fitness habit is that it can be as full of adventure as you want. There are always new venues, new stretches, new workout buddies, as well as mastering the fundamentals of whatever your choice of exercise may be. To me, that freshness will keep things interesting for many years, and all I have to do is keep an open mind and willingness to change things up.

I've been challenged and privileged to do a lot of business travel in the last 6 or so years, all around the country. Being away for business comes with downtime that I like to fill with a good run or workout. I've had great runs in Las Vegas (right on the strip), Dallas, Atlantic City (on the boardwalk), Tubac, AZ (near the border with Mexico), Boston, Seattle, National Harbor (outside of Washington DC), and most recently in Indianapolis.

I have a fairly high sense of adventure, so I'm not put off by running in an unfamiliar city - I actually like wending my way through a busy metro area, learning about the downtown as I go. And most of the time, I'm joining plenty of other locals and visitors who are doing the same thing, out for a early morning or late evening run, because they are focused on their health.

How about you? Do you enjoy a good workout, or walk or bike ride or hike so much that you are drawn to the next adventure to do it? A consistent level of physical activity will yield a lifetime of health benefits, and the best time to begin is today. Get up and get moving and soon enough you too will have a fun and regenerative habit to add to your wellness.

By the Way


A great way to solidify your workout routine is to have a fitness buddy. Even if you can't find the right time to run or hike or workout together, just sharing the stories, accomplishments and challenges of your physical activity will help to keep you both sharp, engaged and growing in your wellness.





No comments:

Post a Comment