Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Improvise

4.22

A couple weeks ago, I ripped an eyelet out of my good running shoes. Totally unexpected and it's worse than breaking a lace. Thankfully, we have have a local shoe repair shop which does a good job salvaging life out of shoes and sneakers which are damaged.

One problem though, was that it would take a week to get the running shoe back. And this was right in the middle of my training for the upcoming half marathon. I couldn't miss a week of training... what to do?

I have an almost worn out pair of running shoes which were still around the garage, and I use them for projects and errands. These shoes are well past their prime, and mileage limit, but that's what I had to work with, so I dug them out and laced up.

I put about 25 miles or so those old shoes this past weeks, and it went just fine. 

One thing I've learned is to take life as it comes. Whatever shows up today is in God's control... it's not a surprise to Him, and really shouldn't surprise us. And there is likely a simple, doable solution in front of us if we'll just take a look around.

What are you facing in your wellness journey that isn't as you expected? Maybe you need to improvise a solution from the resources at hand. Have a look around. Be creative. Think differently and see with new eyes. Be willing to say yes to something that may not be the best solution, but is a workable solution.


By the Way


If you have a regular running habit, you should own at least two, maybe three, pairs of viable running shoes (I owe myself another good pair.)

Check out this forum post from Runner's World about how many pairs of shoes are the right number:
Runner's World article on pairs of running shoes








No comments:

Post a Comment