Sunday, February 10, 2019

Living With Resolve

6.4

Image result for when do people quit new years resolutionsBy now a majority of resolution-making Americans have bailed on their 2019 intentions. Sometime around the 3rd week of January most New Year's Resolutions are abandoned. Strava, the athletic social media platform, reports that 31.5 million data points from Strava athletes show the date to be January 12th.

I've never been into New Year's Resolutions, but I live with great resolve. Here's why: I've watched loved ones suffer under the blight of cancer, and that has brought great conviction into my life. I now have a friend, who I know from church and business, who was recently diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer... he's in his 50's. His disease process is following the same path that my Dad's lung cancer took back in the early 80's. My father-in-law died of colon cancer several years ago as well. It's a rough journey...

My resolutions sometimes become this visceral commitment to living differently, in the face of a world full of food and lifestyle choices that our bodies don't handle well. I'm not saying that my dad, or my friend, made choices that lead to their cancer. Unfortunately, we are all susceptible to becoming a statistic in one form or another. Chance can happen to anyone.

But for me, and those lives I am honored to speak into, I will do all I can to lead fellow travelers to healthful choices. There are opportunities in all we do and choose, and if there is something in my journey which drags others into healthful choices, I will press on.

And next week, I'll likely approach my workout commitment with another, maybe different resolution. A stretch goal, a change in venue, or maybe honing a new physical skill. I'll rest when I know I've done everything I can reasonably do this week to invest in my wellness.

Look deeply at your wellness journey this week. Find conviction in your choices. Purge your pantry and get your body moving. Visit with your family doctor and seek wise counsel. Make a difference week by week, and let the benefits of healthful choices accrue. The world around you will be thankful for your resolve.

By the Way


I make regular resolutions to break wellness boundaries and bend norms. Last week I ran over 15 miles for my 'long run' on Sunday; today I ran 16 miles. In the back of my mind, I'm fighting for all those who haven't yet felt called into the battle, or those who never really got the chance to fight. My dad, my father-in-law, my friend from church... now I'm running for them.





No comments:

Post a Comment