Sunday, September 1, 2019

Taking Stock

6.20

Image result for taking stockWhere is 2019 going?! How can it be the unofficial end of summer, the restart of school for all the kiddos, with fall arriving in just a few weeks? Well, it can be, and it is. As we finish these last few months, and take stock of all that happened over the last 12 months, hopefully you can look back with good memories and gratitude.

For me, this has been a great year. I have continued to focus on simple wellness goals, to regularly evaluate our pantry and fridge for great food choices, and to stretch my physical capacity with challenging workouts and races. While I set out to achieve a Spartan trifecta of some challenging events beyond just Spartan races, I'm realizing that a better plan probably resulted from the Spartan races I've participated in. I completed my first Ultra, and I think there will be more of those in my future.

Our family enjoyed a great vacation a couple weeks ago, and took our wellness pursuits with us. We traveled to Canada, where I included a couple of runs to enjoy the local scenery, and my older daughter and I did a great workout along the Ottawa River. We shared some tasty poutine and beaver tails (Canadian fun-food) while at the same time sticking to our 90/10 eating goals and healthy choices.

To close out the year I may end up doing 3 more Spartan races. We gathered a team from work to do the Stadion Sprint in Philly (at Citizens Bank Park). It's been great to share a training schedule and encourage each other to grow and step up to a challenge. This is a first Spartan Race for most of the team. I also have two pending trips in October where I can tag on a Spartan Race local to my destination. Destination races are always a good time, because the venue is always an adventure, even if we know what to expect in the race.

I'd say my biggest wellness accomplishment of 2019 has been further study of collagen and the healing benefits we get from this simple 'bone broth' protein foundation in our diet. I know my body is healthier still from supplementing with collagen.

How about your journey? You set out with particular goals for 2019. Did you achieve what you hoped? Even if you needed to modify things because circumstances changed, did the initial vision pull you forward? 

By the Way


As a family, we are also starting to launch our older kids into their lives and careers. As they establish their own routines and households, it's cool to see them making legitimate wellness choices in their food and fitness. Who knows what races we may do together in the coming years, and what we'll be able to learn from them.






No comments:

Post a Comment