Sunday, December 29, 2019

Calorie Convictions

6.28

I got a new Garmin for Christmas - more on that in another post - and it is an awesome partner for a wellness lifestyle. I'm able to measure and track about everything you can possibly imagine. One of the things I like to pay attention to is calories burned. As we wrap up the Holidays, and 2019, I have been thinking about our pantry and my calorie budget for the year.

My Garmin tells me I burn between 22,000 and 24,000 calories most weeks. Multiplied across a whole year, that's about 1,200,000 calories! That's a lot of food to fuel my daily life, running habit and some Spartan races... And assuming that my weight is fairly constant (and thankfully it is) I need to actually eat all those 23,000 calories a week.

Considering  all the breakfasts lunches and dinners I'll consume to make up my meals for the coming year, it adds to my conviction to make my calories count. I imagine the eggs, rice cakes and fruit for breakfast, the steak and sweet potatoes, the quinoa and salmon, the salads with nuts and berries... Mmmmm.

The conviction I'm left with is to make my calories count. Some will be fun food, some will be race fuel, and most will be everyday meals shared with family or coworkers. Even though 1.2 million calories are a lot of calories to consume in a year, every one counts. All our calories offer the opportunity to support our wellness or detract from it.

So how will you budget your calories in 2020? Start by aligning your pantry with your wellness goals. Purge the junk and faux foods and invest in healthful food choices your body and mind will thrive on. It's an investment in your health that will always pay dividends.

By the Way


Remember that all calories are not created equally. There are healthy fats and carbs, just as there are (very) unhealthy ones. There are proteins that build our bodies up, whether plant-based or animal proteins, and there are proteins that our bodies might be happier without. Choose wisely.






No comments:

Post a Comment