Sunday, April 12, 2015

2:20:13.8

2.27
That was my time yesterday for my first half-marathon - 2 hours, 20 minutes and 13.8 seconds. I'm still a bit surprised that I could keep it together for over 2 hours and actually finish.

My simple goals for my running habit have been the same since my first 5-mile race 4 years ago:
1. Finish
2. Don't get injured (do blisters count as injuries?)
3. Don't throw up

Based on those goals, yesterday's half-marathon was a success! And my finish time wasn't too shabby for the over-45 crowd (my mental goal was 2:17:00; it was really windy, so that was my excuse for adding 3 minutes over the course.) That said, I placed at 37th in my age category (out of 59, I think.)

The Garden Spot Village marathon (and half-marathon) is really great. Very scenic, and extremely well organized. Details are covered exceptionally well, and nothing is left to chance. There were over 1,200 runners between the full and half marathons... that's quite a crowd! For a novice runner like me, it's a real treat, and I understand the GSV style and attention to detail distinguishes this annual marathon from others in our part of the country.


So what is your big goal this year? Maybe it's tackling those extra pounds, to finally take them off and keep them off through wellness lifestyle changes. Or you may want to rework your pantry once-and-for-all to purge the standard western faux-foods and make the switch to real, whole foods. Whatever it is that has your attention, go at it with some reckless abandon. Launch into that unknown territory and make some progress in your new direction. Envision success in your mind and go get it. Then stay committed to the new cause you are taking up and keep going until you arrive. Maybe you too be surprised when you get there.


By the Way


I probably had about five bananas yesterday, between pre-run snacking and after the run. Bananas are a great training and race-day fuel. Good carbs and natural sugars to power your exercise and performance; lots of potassium to recharge muscles and help dissipate the stress of the workout. And an added benefit (I heard this from an Air Force pilot years ago): bananas are the ideal pre-flight food, especially if you fail on goal #3 above. Why? Because the bananas taste the same coming back up as they do going down...






No comments:

Post a Comment