Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Race-Ready!

2.26
It' here! Ready or not. This Saturday is the 7th Annual Garden Spot Village Marathon (and half Marathon). I committed some months ago that I would run the half-marathon, which was a 2014 goal of mine that never took hold. The year came and went, and the most I did was a 10k.

But this year has been different. Working at Garden Spot Village (GSV) has brought with it a very unique and engaging culture, and part of our culture is a distinct bent toward wellness. With me being a nutrition geek and overall fitness / wellness advocate, the GSV focus on good health has been great. And when 2 out of the 4 executives on the leadership team consistently run marathons and half-marathons, it makes it easier to jump in.

I've been training appropriately since the beginning of the year, and while I'm not in peak running form, I'm ready to roll. Last Saturday me and son #1 and daughter #1 ran in the Sauder Egg Run (an Easter weekend run Sauders has been doing for decades). That's a 5 mile run, and it was a perfect match with my training schedule (I've tapered off my big runs coming into final prep for the half-marathon.) I feel mentally ready, and with God's help and a couple good nights' sleep, I'll be physically ready, too.


The key now is to execute. Once all the preparation is done and plans have been made, all we need to do is roll out the plan. It's not as simple as showing up; you need to bring your A game with you. Not only marathons require our A game... life requires it, and when we choose not to bring our best, we miss the moment. For the Marathon on Saturday? I'm ready! The weather is trending toward awesome (sunny, breezy and 63 for a high) after a chilly 45 degree start... just right.

Right now, I bet you have something pending where you need to bring your A game. And you're prepared and ready to engage, although you've never tackled anything like it before. That's okay... you know what to do and how to do it, all you need to do is execute. Maintaining a power pantry is exactly like that, too. Very simple, although it may not be easy. All I can say is, "you have what it takes ... go get 'em."


By the Way


My daughter #1 is running the "Kid's Marathon" at GSV this year. It is being done in coordination with the YMCA, and its a tremendous introduction to running for the kids. What you do is run, walk, bike or swim 25 miles in the weeks and months preceding the Kids' Marathon, and then complete a 1.2 mile run this Friday night the 10th, to complete your 26.2 miles total. What a great idea, and great encouragement for lifestyle fitness!







No comments:

Post a Comment