Sunday, July 17, 2016

Spartan Up!

3.22

Today was filled with undiluted awesome! I completed my first Spartan Race, the Sprint in Palmerton, PA (at Blue Mountain Ski resort). It was everything you would expect it to be and more, full of life-lessons, physical challenges and exertion that you can't get anywhere else, and the personal victory of finishing.

I had this crazy idea a year or so ago to do an obstacle course run, and after studying a number of the mud-runs out there, settled on Spartan Races because they are the classiest and seemed to be the most well-run. I was right on both counts.

Their goal behind great planning and execution is to get our sedentary, overfed population off the couch and engaged in this great life around us. And the Spartan races certainly do just that. There were thousands of racers there today, from the most serious gym-enthusiasts to the middle-aged casual-training guys like me.

I hit my three modest goals today: Finish (my time was 3:12:24); don't get injured (no blisters, sprains or cuts, just one small rope burn); don't throw up. Mission accomplished!

There are so many lessons learned it would much more than the space I could commit here. But the great thing is that finishing a significant personal goal reminds you that you have
what it takes, and after the finish line you can be assured it was all worth it.

Now it's time to rest up, and I've already been hitting the apple cider vinegar to help my muscle recovery, and just get a good night's sleep.

If you feel like you haven't done something 'significant' lately, dig deep and challenge your thinking, and maybe you'll find yourself on a personal journey toward something that will change your life.


By the Way


There was one huge disappointment for such a great day - my Fitbit Blaze isn't waterproof!! There are numerous waterholes and wet events in a Spartan Race which would have wrecked it... So for all the extreme physical challenges, exertion and accomplishment I had today, I wasn't able to record any of it. But no worries, I know what an awesome day it was!




No comments:

Post a Comment