Sunday, September 10, 2017

The Joy of Running...

4.24

...in Community.

I did my 5th half marathon yesterday, and it was a really great experience. We live in Lancaster County, PA, and I'm regularly reminded of what a special place it is. This race was one of those reminders.

The run was to benefit the local fire company in Bird-in-Hand, PA, a small town east of Lancaster, and right in the middle of Amish farms and tourist attractions. It is 3,000 runners and thousands of volunteers, spectators, supporters and locals, to yield a great event.

They do a lot to make the run special:

  • Parts of the course go through an operating farm
  • You get to see the Amish countryside close up and personal
  • Amish and Mennonite families staff the water stations and cheer the runners on
  • There is a free 'community picnic' after the race - everyone is invited for chicken bbq, hot dogs and sausage sandwiches, fixins and cake and ice cream
  • There is one of most unique medals (a real horseshoe) for finishers - check out this article from 2014 in Runner's World magazine about the Coolest Medals...
  • If you run the Garden Spot Village Marathon (or half marathon) you qualify for the one-of-kind Road Apple Award


The theme for the Bird-in-Hand half marathon is "The Joy of Running in Community". The founders, Jim and John Smucker from the Bird-inHand Family Restaurant, are from a seriously committed running family, and they know that running, and the culture surrounding it, can build great community. It certainly worked for me and my family yesterday. I had a tremendous run and together we enjoyed all the event had to offer. Look for a wellness commitment where you can find and build community - you'll be glad you did.


By the Way


The course is set on rolling hills of the local farm land, which for me is an easier run than where I train. The result? I had my best half marathon time ever at 2:09:14. Not stellar, but great for me, as I was 10 pounds heavier and 13 minutes slower at the GSV half marathon this spring. And, yes, I qualified for and received a Road Apple Award..





No comments:

Post a Comment