Sunday, April 15, 2018

Running Hot

5.08

I ran my first half-marathon of 2018 yesterday. It was an awesome day... turned out really hot for mid-April, but no matter how you look at it, it was a great day.


It was the Garden Spot Village Marathon, Half-Marathon and Kid's Marathon. Our daughter ran the Kid's Marathon on Friday night (and I ran with her for the 1.2 mile finish on her 26.2 mile journey.)

Yesterday there were over 800 runners for the marathon and half-marathon, through the Amish farms and farmlands of eastern Lancaster county. It is a well-run, fun day, and celebration of an active lifestyle and supportive of runners of all ages.

I have one or two other half-marathons I plan to do in 2018, as well as a number of Spartan Races and other timed workouts... all as part of my 2018 celebration of being 50. Yesterday was a wonderful start, and it's going to be a great, active year!

How about you? What's on your calendar?

By the Way


Even though I trained well in late winter and into the spring, the heat yesterday really took the starch out of me. I probably started out too fast, and the GSV course is hilly, and a number of the hills are long and slow. At about halfway, I realized I needed to tone it down, or risk not finishing because I was just going too hard. The result? I walked several times during the race (something I had never done before) and still finished with a PR of 10 seconds faster than my best GSV time from a couple years ago. It was a great morning of running!




1 comment:

  1. That is an amazing achievement, Steve! Fifty doesn’t look very old on you. You still look like the late teen early twenty something I met a few years ago. Keep up the great work, brother!

    ReplyDelete