Sunday, April 29, 2018

What Makes You Come Alive?

5.09

I've posted before about 2018 being a big year for me. Yesterday was part of the celebration. A couple years ago I first understood what an obstacle course race was, and I learned of the Spartan Race. Spartan Races have become the top obstacles course races world-wide, with the goal of ripping 100 million people off the couch.

With lots of doubt and misgiving, I put a Spartan "Sprint" on my calendar for 2016, and had this passing thought about a stretch goal of doing a Spartan "Trifecta" to celebrate my 50th birthday. For the Trifecta, you need to complete a Sprint (~5 miles), Super (~10 miles) and Beast (~15 miles) race in the same calendar year.

At the time I remember thinking, "well...that's a dumb goal, because there's no way I'll ever be physically fit enough to do it..." Fast forward through a couple hundred of miles of running, thousands of pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups, jumping rope, planks, and eating a diet of real food, and I had gained the confidence to sign up.

I admit I was a bit anxious going into it. Some of the obstacles are really strenuous. Lifting, climbing, jumping, numerous monkey-bar obstacles, cargo nets... and lots and lots of mud. To me, these races are truly awesome.

What are some of the results of this journey? One of the ones I'm most grateful for is that a couple years of focused diet and training have kept me out of trouble. I have very little time, interest or bandwidth for anything that didn't invest in my faith, my family, my work and my fitness. Very cool, and that's the kind of unintended results I like.

So, do you have to go do some crazy mud-run for your wellness journey? Absolutely not. I don't know why, but obstacle course racing brings the best out in me. I love the intensity of training, the challenge of finishing, the exertion of participating. There is, no doubt, a wellness challenge you can grab onto that will make you come alive and keep you out of trouble. Find it, and it may change your life for the good..

By the Way

Catching my breath after the race

Fought hard for this one...
The race yesterday was the 13+ mile Spartan Beast on the ski slopes of Mountain Creek Resort in northern NJ. Wow was it an experience. 31 obstacles later, I finished in 5:04:09. The five hours took me up and down the mountain about 8-10 times for a total elevation
gain of 4,600 feet. I think another Beast race will be in my future... someday.






No comments:

Post a Comment