Sunday, March 17, 2019

Obstacle Immunity

6.7

There is great benefit from testing our limits. We are capable of so much more than we think we can do, and all it takes is to be a bit dreamy, and convicted enough to try. Right now I'm training for the NJ Spartan Ultra - a 50k (about 31 miles) obstacle course race on the ski slopes of Mt. Creek Resort in Vernon, NJ.

If you would have asked me 2 or 3 years ago if I would imagine doing something like a Spartan Ultra, I would have said no, I just can't see doing that... yet here I am, about 5 weeks out. Besides the fact that I love Spartan racing (the exertion, the scenic views, and simply enjoying the great outdoors from the trail) I'm realizing that I've developed "obstacle immunity."

If we push a personal limit, and successfully accomplish the goal (or at least finish and don't get injured) all of sudden we've stretched what is personally possible. It may have been completely impossible in our minds just weeks or days prior, but here we are, checking it off our list. The obstacle that previously would have hung us up, is now within our ability - we're immune.

Image result for proofing armorObstacle immunity is nothing new... I was touring a museum with our family a few weeks ago, and marveled at numerous old suits of armor. One feature that was highlighted on a couple of them was "proofing" marks. When a suit of armor was completed, it was often shot with a live round of ammunition to prove that it would hold up, that it was safe.

Once armor, or our own physical constitution or ability, has been proved, we know that we can proceed and everything should turn out all right. We'll have done what we can to prepare, and figured out the necessary contingencies and then pressed on. The confidence that comes from this process is obstacle immunity. Now you know you can do it, and at least within the bounds of your preparations, you'll be safe.

So today I ran 18 miles, with a bunch of push-ups and monkey bars thrown in. (And that's after a serious driveway workout yesterday, and a 'warehouse' workout at a local Y Friday night.) Needless to say, I'm a bit fried, but I'm feeling more and more prepared for my Spartan Ultra... bring on the ski slopes and obstacles...

How about you? What dreamy goal might you confront today, and then prepare toward and train for? Maybe you'll grow to the point that you've proven you can do it, and you'll benefit from the obstacle immunity that develops in you. Give it a try - you never know where you'll end up.

By the Way


Next weekend is my big training day. I'm shooting for 24 miles with at least 3 obstacle breaks in between. From there I'll 'taper' to the end of April when the big race happens (and run the Garden Spot Village half marathon, and our local Sauder Egg Run during April as well.) 





No comments:

Post a Comment