Sunday, July 7, 2019

On Track

6.16

Nine years into my wellness habit, I'm fitter and stronger than any other season of my life. I was often sickly as a kid (tonsils removed, appendix removed, life-threatening accidents and surgeries... it was rough.) In college, while my general health stabilized, I started with underlying gut issues that persisted until just a few years ago. That's a long time to weather a daily grind of ill-health.

Now things are different. After all the years of research and challenging my food and physical activity choices, I'm fitter, stronger, pain-free and loving life. My mental focus is consistently on-point. My joints and back are healthy and perform great, even under consistent physical exertion.

What's the secret? There is no secret... It's just a relentless pursuit of a simplified pantry, eating real food that my body appreciates, and regular physical activity that challenges me weekly, monthly and yearly.

What we eat matters... be aware that we are, literally, what we eat. My diet is mostly Paleo-style right now. Meat and veggies, nuts and seeds, some fruit, little starch and sugar. I have found that my body does well if I avoid grass grains (wheat, oats, rice, corn, etc.) and nightshade veggies (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers and such). 

Image result for spartan raceCombine this with a commitment to Spartan training and physical rigors of a good sweat 6-7 times a week, and I've found something to sustain me for years to come. My muscles are toned, and my gut is healthy. I have endurance to take on all kinds of challenges (including the mental and emotional ones that come with work and family life - ie, improved wellness improves numerous facets of our lives.)

Your journey is different, yet we all benefit from investing in a clean pantry, vigorous physical exercise and goals big enough to lead us on. So make great goals today. Find a wellness buddy, and better yet, a whole wellness tribe. Challenge yourself to something you thought you could never do, then go do it. Make wellness a habit, and you'll be on track to exceptional physical and mental health.

By the Way


I have my next Spartan race coming up this weekend. I'll be at the Palmerton Super to log my 2nd of 3 races this season (for a 2019 Spartan Trifecta). While this wasn't my original plan for this year, I'm in race-day shape physically, and excited to hit the mountain hard (this race is at the Blue Mountain ski resort, so the course trails are literally up and down the ski slopes).





No comments:

Post a Comment