Thursday, January 7, 2016

Simple Wellness - Go

3.2

Where Are You Going?


We're all headed somewhere. The big question is where. Even making 'no' decision about our direction is a significant decision about where we'll end up. And the destination may not be good.

I've shared before that my wellness vision aligns with Jack LaLanne and Tony Horton. Even though these men are generations apart, they share(d) a basic approach to wellness that includes simple, nutritional food choices and a physically active workout routine. They both revolutionized wellness by their influence.

Granted, I'm no Tony Horton, but if I can learn something from his great guidance, and it tugs me in his general direction month by month and year by year, I might just end up someplace awesome. Jack LaLanne lived to be 96 years old, and worked out right up to his last days. How awesome would that be to live into my 90's, truly living? If that happens, I'm only half way there!

You have some sort of wellness vision. Trap it and linger on it. Maybe it's to lose some weight, or achieve a walking or running goal. Maybe you want to climb a few flights of stairs without losing your breath. Or maybe it's to overcome an ailment like Type 2 diabetes or high cholesterol by improving what you eat. If you can see it in your mind, you can certainly achieve it.

On the journey, we may need to overcome some fears, and maybe they're significant. Fear we might fail, or lose our identity, or be hungry all the time, or that we'll lose our friends, or we'll get injured, or that we'll simply outgrow those close to us. The truth is some of these may happen, but what I've realized is that if I've lost a friend or two, I've gained 10 who resonate with my wellness lifestyle. And even if I get some sore muscles, I've eliminated a bad left knee, chronic lower back and shoulder pain, and migraines... eliminated in my late 40's... how cool is that? (And I've never gone hungry... I eat an awesome diet, and I eat a lot... very cool.)

So start where you are. Strike a big vision, and expect a lot of good to come of it. Capture a compelling picture in your mind and hold it there. Cut out some magazine pictures, or old pictures of yourself when you were healthier and happier. Put them on your mirror or fridge. Let the vision grow in plain sight, and see where it starts to take you.

By the Way


This quote from Marianne Williamson always helps give me permission to go big:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people will not feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone and as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give others permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."






No comments:

Post a Comment